Sydney FC, Jets in thrilling draw at Allianz
Newcastle Jets have fought back from two goals down to secure a thrilling 2-2 draw with Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium on Wednesday night.
Quick-fire goals midway through the first half to Kylie Ledbrook and Princess Ibini put the Sky Blues in control, with Westfield Matildas star Caitlin Foord prominent in both.
Newcastle pulled a goal back through Emily van Egmond before the break and grabbed a dramatic equaliser in the final minute of normal time through substitute Gema Simon.
The result leaves Newcastle (17 points) and Sydney FC (16 points) in second and third spot respectively, trailing league-leaders Brisbane Roar (18 points) who face Melbourne Victory on Friday.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Newcastle enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges but failed to make the most of their opportunities, with Katie Stengel, Clare Wheeler and Jenna Kingsley spurning decent chances.
- Sydney gradually worked their way into the contest and grabbed the opener midway through the half with Kylie Ledbrook netting a superb strike from distance.
- The Sky Blues continued to press and doubled their advantage just seven minutes later with the excellent Caitlin Foord teeing-up Princess Ibini to nod home to make it 2-0.
- Newcastle pulled a goal back 10 minutes before half-time courtesy of an Emily van Egmond penalty, with Sydney’s Georgia Yeoman-Dale adjudged to have fouled Arin Gilliland inside the area.
- In heartbreaking scenes, Sydney FC midfielder Amy Harrison was carried from the field following a sickening knee injury just prior to the break.
- Newcastle continued to push for an equaliser in the second half and went close with Gema Simon and Emily van Egmond both denied Sydney FC keeper Aubrey Bledsoe.
- Caitlin Foord spurned a golden chance to make it 3-1 for Sydney FC with just five minutes remaining but fired a tame effort at Jets keeper Britt Eckerstrom.
- The miss proved costly with Gema Simon pouncing on a loose ball in the final minute of regular time to make it 2-2.
1-0 Sydney FC: Kylie Ledbrook, 20’
Caitlin Foord surged forward and picked out Ledbrook around 25 metres from goal, with the midfielder taking a touch before firing a sizzling strike into the bottom right corner.
2-0 Sydney FC: Princess Ibini, 27’
Foord breezed past a number of Jets defenders before delivering a wicked cross to the back post with Princess Ibini burying a clinical header from close range.
2-1 Newcastle Jets: Emily van Egmond, 34’
Newcastle were awarded a penalty after a foul from Georgia Yeoman-Dale, with van Egmond calmly converting the spot kick into the bottom corner.
2-2 Newcastle Jets: Gema Simon, 89’
Hannan Brewer’s lofted cross was knocked down by Cortnee Vine into the path of Simon, with the substitute firing home from close range.
10 key stats ahead of Westfield W-League Round 10
The race for the Westfield W-League top four is heating up with every result crucial heading into Round 10, which starts on Wednesday afternoon in Sydney with a cracker between the Sky Blues and Newcastle Jets. Every game has ramifications on the finals spots, including Saturd
Westfield W-League Ins and Outs: Sydney FC v Jets
Round 10 in the Westfield W-League kicks off on Wednesday night with third-placed Sydney FC playing host to second-placed Newcastle Jets. Here's the all-important team news ahead of what promises to be a thrilling encounter. ... Wednesday, 3 January 2018 Sydney FC v Newca