5 things you need to know about Victory's rising star Melina Ayres
Melina Ayres scored one of the goals of the Westfield W-League season on Friday in Melbourne Victory’s narrow 2-1 defeat to Brisbane Roar.
The gifted teenager was given too much space outside the box, unleashing a powerful drive which whistled past Roar and Westfield Matildas keeper Mackenzie Arnold into the roof of the net.
It was a snapshot of the undoubted talent Ayres possesses and why she is regarded as one of the rising stars of the women’s game in Australia.
It’s time you get to know more about this boom Victory star. And you can re-live her stunning goal in the player above!
- She has also played for Melbourne City in the Westfield W-League, making her debut in City’s inaugural match in 2015/16 and scoring the final goal in a 6-0 drubbing of Sydney FC.
- Ayres once scored five goals in one game playing for South Melbourne – alongside Westfield Matildas Lisa De Vanna – in the Victorian Women’s NPL.
- She has played for the Westfield Young Matildas, scoring three goals in four matches at the AFF Women’s Championships.
- The 18-year-old is also a handy cricketer. Ayres – handy all-rounder - was a junior state rep and has played more than 50 games for Melbourne in the Premier Cricket first and second XI competitions. It’s earned her comparisons with former Westfield Matildas Elyse Perry.
- Like a number of players in the current Westfield Matildas squad (like Laura Alleway, Tameka Butt and Elise Kellond-Knight), Ayres loves to spend her down time surfing.