Hat-trick Hill sparks Glory to emphatic win over Roar
A hat-trick to US striker Rachel Hill has inspired Perth Glory to a comfortable 4-1 win over Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.
After her double against Melbourne City last weekend, Hill went one better against Roar as Glory made it back-to-back wins to start the Westfield W-League 2017/18 Season.
Sam Kerr got her customary goal for Glory with a second half penalty, while Clare Polkinghorne was Roar’s goalscorer.
Glory is one of just two sides to have a 100% record after two rounds, along with Newcastle Jets.
Roar head to Sydney next for a clash against the Wanderers on Friday, while Glory are away to Adelaide.
STORY OF THE GAME
- In warm conditions in Brisbane, it was a fairly even contest for much of the first half with neither side able to establish any dominance.
- Glory suffered a blow midway through the half with US international Nikki Stanton forced off with a suspected broken arm.The visitors took the lead three minutes before the break, with Sam Kerr swooping on a turnover in Roar’s half before setting up Rachel Hill for a powerful finish into the roof of the net.
- But Glory’s lead lasted only a minute. Katrina Gorry’s free-kick was tipped onto the crossbar, with Clare Polkinghorne following up to head in the rebound. 1-1 at the break.
- Hill grabbed her second just before the hour mark to restore Glory’s lead, in the right place at the right time to sweep the ball in after Mackenzie Arnold spilled Raquel Rodriguez’s shot.
- After denying Kerr twice earlier in the second half with superb saves, Arnold undid her good work by bringing down her Westfield Matildas teammate in the box for a penalty. Kerr made no mistake to make it 3-1 with 13 minutes left.
- Hill then completed her hat-trick with a clinical low drive into the bottom corner with seven minutes left to cap another big win for Glory.