High-flying Adelaide inflict pain on Sky Blues

Adelaide United defeated Sydney FC 5-2 in a thrilling Round 14 contest at Coopers Stadium on Sunday.

Goals to Adriana Jones and Racheal Quigley in the second half gave Adelaide a two-goal advantage. Sydney FC substitute Remy Siemsen hit a brace to level but goals to Emily Hodgson and Sofia Huerta, along with a penalty from Jones saw Adelaide collect the three points. 

With Adelaide United looking to end their season on a high-note and spoil Sydney FC’s party for the premiership, United were the more encouraging side in the first period, with countless chances that could have seen them take the lead. 

Top scorer Jones caused havoc for the second-placed Sydney’s defence, bursting out of the blocks early threatening Sydney shot stopper Sham Khamis with several one-on-one opportunities. 

Alongside Jones, Alex Chidiac and Huerta were also proving dangerous, but Khamis remained resolute and kept the hosts scoreless in the first 45 minutes. 

The second half provided the entertainment with Racheal Quigley tapping into an open goal seconds into the second stanza, following Danielle Colaprico’s free kick. A minute later in the 48th minute, Jones streamed past Khamis to strike into another empty net for a two goal advantage. 

The strong Harbour City opponents were not going to give up easily on their premiership hopes, with substitute Siemsen completed a quickfire brace within two minutes that kept the United defence off-guard.

But within a matter of minutes Huerta raced into the penalty area to square to the back post for Hodgson to strike for another Adelaide lead. In the 67th minute, Jones was brought down in the area after anticipating a one-on-one opportunity with Khamis.

Jones then completed her brace, converting from the spot to give her side another two goal lead. 

Sydney FC looked promising in the latter moments, but Huerta venomously stuck with confidence to give United a 5-2 victory over Sydney and a sixth-place finish on the standings.