Jets juggernaut continues with impressive win over Sydney FC
Newcastle Jets have made it two wins from two with a deserved 2-0 win over Sydney FC in the Westfield W-League on Saturday at McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle.
With Lisa De Vanna starting for Sydney FC alongside returning Young Matilda Princess Ibini, hopes were high that the Sky Blues could rebound after last week's 3-1 loss at home to Roar.
For the Jets, they were banking on home comforts again after a 2-1 win over Wanderers at the same venue in Round 1.
STORY OF THE GAME
- On a wet surface and under leaden skies, Sydney FC had a nightmare start, conceding after just two minutes to Jets' Nikola Orgill: 1-0 to the home side.
- Sky Blue star Remy Siemsen hit the woodwork shortly after. It was a costly miss as Newcastle's Arin Gilliland's powered home a header from a corner put Jets two goals to the good.
- 2-0 at the break, and the Jets were cruising.
- As the rain became heavier in the second half, Sydney FC pushed hard but couldn't find a way back in.
- De Vanna came off with 20 minutes left.
- Former Matildas striker Leena Khamis came on for Siemsen in the final 10 minutes as the Sky Blues desperately tried to find a way through.
- Ibini and Khamis had half chances late on but it wasn't to be for the Sky Blues, who had Teigen Allen booked late on for a bad foul.
- The attendance was 2,303.