Jets compound Perth's pain with 4-0 win in the West

Newcastle Jets scored twice on either side of half time to notch a commanding 4-0 win over Perth Glory at Dorrien Gardens on Monday night. 

Solitary goals to Rhianna Pollicina and Lauren Allan added to Sunny Franco's brace as the Jets secured a second win of the campaign to move to seven points, six clear of Perth at the bottom of the Westfield W-League table.

A first-half Jets barrage produced two goals and chances aplenty as Pollicina scored one and assisted Franco to give the visitors a healthy advantage at the break.

It was an advantage Newastle instantly set about increasing in the second half, as Franco scored again on 47 minutes after Perth failed to deal with a high ball dropping inside their defensive box. 

Caitlin Doeglas was the bright spark for Glory going forward. The 24-year-old was involved in two decent chances for the hosts, finding the side netting early in the game before teeing up Malia Steinmetz to challenge Claire Coelho with a well-hit strike in the second 45, after Doeglas' strong display of running power down the left flank.

Despite an improved attacking output in the second half the hosts were too stagnant in defence, allowing Allan to make it 4-0 in the 83rd minute off the back of Perth's inability to react to a loose ball in the box which Allan punished with conviction.

Key Moments

Newcastle dominated the first half from start to finish, scoring twice from a multitude of chances to take a commanding lead to the break.

Allan received the opportunity to put the Jets into the lead when Perth were caught napping in defence, allowing a ball from Tiana Jaber to meet Allan at the back post.

Allan took the ball to her left but Alfeld got down to save at her feet; the Jets forward collected the rebound and played the ball across to Tara Andrews but her shot was weak, and Alfeld was able to gather once more to repel the danger.

Franco scuffed a strike from inside the box after going one-on-one with the Glory 'keeper and Cassidy Davis fired a long-range bomb toward goal which hit the underside of the bar twice; the Jets players believed the ball had crossed the line but the goal wasn't awarded as play continued with the scores locked at 0-0.

But, after a considerable spell of pressure the visitors finally made Perth buckle, scoring twice in seven minutes to take a well-deserved lead.

Pollicina broke the deadlock, displaying solid link-up play to control the ball and feed Andrews, who played Allan down the line to feed the ball back to Pollicina arriving in the box to dispatch the shot into the back of the net.

GOAL: Pollicina starts and finishes clinical Jets move

With their heads up and momentum behind them the Jets pressed on and converted again through Franco, with Pollicina turning provider for the second goal. 

Pollicina's ball through a sea of bodies found Franco running in on goal, but the midfielder still had a lot to do with the strike from the edge of the box. It was a task Franco proved well up for, as she drove the ball along the deck into the bottom left corner.

GOAL: Jets make it two before the break

Not long after half time the visitors struck again when a defensive mixup from Perth handed Franco the chance to secure a brace and extend Newcastle's lead to three.

An interception from Marianna Tabain from Tessa Tamplin's cross from the right flank sent the ball soaring into the air toward goal. Sarah Carroll let it bounce but misjudged the spin the ball had generated off Tabain's boot; dropping from the sky the ball spun off the ground away from Carroll and into Franco's direction, who nodded the ball home from close range.

GOAL: Franco scores another as Jets go three up

A ranging run from Doeglas sparked a rare Glory attack in the aftermath of Newcastle's third goal. Doeglas set off down the left flank with a heavy touch, cut to her right and laid Steinmetz onto the ball on the tip of the box. Steinmetz took one touch and fired toward goal but Claire Coelho got down to make the save.

Perth experienced further success as the second half ticked by, getting forward on a number of occasions to cause a greater threat than what was offered to the Jets in the first 45. But, another defensive lapse ended up costing the hosts the fourth and final goal of the evening.

Sophie Harding emerged off the bench for Newcastle and her powerful running helped the substitute win the ball off Deborah De La Harpe and charge off the right flank towards Elizabeth Anton.

Anton attempted to nick the ball and it spilled into the box, where Allan was fastest to react. Getting to the ball first, Allan nicked the ball through Alfeld's legs to send the ball trickling over the goal line, putting an exclamation point on the 4-0 win.

GOAL: Allan ices the cake

Next Matches

Perth Glory v Canberra United
Friday, March 12 2021
Viking Park
Kick-off: 6.05pm AEDT
Match Centre

Melbourne City FC v Newcastle Jets
Sunday, March 14 2021
Kingston Heath Soccer Complex
Kick-off: 7.05pm AEDT
Match Centre