Record crowd roars on Brisbane to comeback win

Brisbane Roar and Sydney FC opened the ninth instalment of the Westfield W-League competition in spectacular style in front of a huge crowd on Saturday.

Two second-half goals for the Roar eclipsed Caitlin Foord's opener to hand the home side a deserved 2-1 win at Spencer Park.

The crowd of 3,105 is the largest stand-alone attendance in Westfield W-League history for a regular-season match.

The game started off at a slow pace for both teams with the weather playing a major part in the pace of the game, though both sides had their chances.

It was well contested early on with Sydney FC having the better opportunity of the two sides but the Brisbane Roar defence remained strong despite the constant pressure put on by Sky Blues' forwards Foord and Kyah Simon.

It would not be a Brisbane Roar versus Sydney FC game if it was not for a few bumps and bruises from either side but it made for an interesting game to come in the following half.

That all changed when the second half begun as Sydney FC came out looking for a goal, and that’s exactly what they got.

Westfield Matildas striker Foord scored the opening the goal in style as she tapped it into the back of the net to give her side a well-deserved lead.

However, a mastermind change from Brisbane Roar coach, Melissa Andreatta, saw Roar debutant Allira Toby make an impact straight away, as she scored with her first touch of the ball with a header.

As Sydney FC tried to change the pace of the game by bringing on former Brisbane Roar and Perth Glory winger Gabe Marzano, a lack in concentration saw Katrina Gorry get on the scoreboard with a shot from outside the 18-yard box.

Roar continued their possession-based football, with perfectly placed balls through to the forwards time and time again.

But just as Sydney FC were breaking down the Brisbane Roar defence, an error from Foord saw her earn her marching orders as she received a second yellow card four minutes from time.

It could’ve gone either way in the last few minutes with number of chances at either end made for entertaining football for fans at Newmarket, but the late red card all but dashed the hopes of Sydney FC drawing level with the Roar, as the game was another tight and fierce affair between the two clubs.