FFA and major sponsor Westfield have officially launched the Westfield W-League 2012/13 season.
Football Federation Australia, and major sponsor Westfield, today officially launched the Westfield W-League 2012/13 Season with star players including Westfield Matildas Ellyse Perry, Kyah Simon and Stephanie Catley, high-profile fans and media at an exclusive event on Sydney-s Jones Bay Wharf.
Now in its fifth season, the Westfield W-League is set to be bigger and better than ever before with the addition of a new team - Western Sydney Wanderers FC - two extra regular season rounds and some of the world-s best footballers taking to the pitch in stadiums across the country this summer.
“The Westfield W-League is one of, if not, the world-s premier women-s football competition and this season is set to the best one yet,” Head of W-League Damien De Bohun said.
“For me, the beauty of this league is that it creates new heroes each season. It is also the breeding ground for the Westfield Matildas - one of Australia-s most successful sporting teams.
“With the Westfield Matildas ranked 9th in the world, Champions of Asia, and with every player from the Westfield Matildas squad playing in the Westfield W-League this year, there has never been a better opportunity for Australians to witness world class football in their own backyard.
“The local grounds at which the Westfield W-League is played provide a great family-friendly atmosphere, and tickets can be purchased at the gate.”
The Westfield W-League action kicks off this weekend with a blockbuster first round featuring a Grand Final rematch between Canberra United and Brisbane Roar at Canberra-s McKellar Park on Saturday, 20th October (kick-off 200pm) before culminating with the Westfield W-League 2013 Grand Final on the Australia Day weekend - Sunday, 27th January.
Other key dates and features of the Westfield W-League 2012/13 season to watch out for include (all times indicated below are stated as local times):
- A new, viewer and family-friendly one-hour Match of the Day highlights package broadcast nationally each Saturday by the Westfield W-League-s broadcast partner, The ABC.
- Family-friendly AM fixtures including first AM match of the season to be played at Intiga Stadium, Inglewood in Perth (Perth Glory vs. Melbourne Victory - 21st October @1030am)
- First inter-city derby in Westfield W-League history with Sydney FC taking on Western Sydney Wanderers FC at Leichardt Oval (27th October @200pm)
- First Newcastle Jets home match against defending champions Canberra United at the Hunter-s Westfield W-League home, Wanderers Oval in Broadmeadow (27th October @200pm)
- The historic first Western Sydney Wanderers FC home match at Campbelltown Stadium against Perth Glory (3rd November @ 200pm)
- 2012 defeated Grand Finalists-, Brisbane Roar, first home match at Cleveland Showgrounds (3rd November @ 300pm)
- Sydney FC to play Perth Glory as the curtain raiser to Sydney FC-s first Hyundai A-League inter-city home derby at Allianz Stadium (15/12 @ 500pm)
“It-s a really exciting time to be playing in the Westfield W-League this season and I can-t wait to strap on the boots this weekend and hopefully bag a few goals for Sydney FC,” Westfield Matildas and Sydney FC captain Kyah Simon said.
“This season is going to be the toughest, and most even yet, with world-class talent on the books of all eight clubs.
"There will be no easy games this year and I think fans at the grounds and watching on TV are in for a treat. Every team will certainly have to be at their best each week if they are going to have any chance of being there come Grand Final Day on January 27.”
For the full Westfield W-League 2012/13 season draw, ticket information and schedule of televised matches visit www.w-league.com.au.